MLA Report (19 March 2008)
2008 Budget: "Ready for Growth"
Your new government released its first budget on March 19th. Saskatchewan is blessed with an abundance of natural resources. Our economy continues to gather momentum and Saskatchewan continues to lead the nation in many areas of growth. The responsibility of our government, and of this Budget, is to sustain that economic momentum. It is also our responsibility to ensure that all Saskatchewan people enjoy the benefits of a growing economy.
In the 4 months since forming government, we have already kept a list of our campaign promises such as fixed election dates and the removal of the PST on used cars. This budget builds on that and keeps an additional 40 commitments that we made to you during the recent campaign.
And we will be keeping many of these promises through our new “Ready for Growth Initiative” – the largest capital investment in the history of Saskatchewan.
The $1 billion Ready for Growth Initiative provides:
- $408 million for roads and highways across the province;
- $191 million to fix hospitals and health facilities, purchase medical equipment and to continue construction of the new provincial laboratory;
- $164 million for new K-12 school projects and post-secondary capital;
- $139 million for municipal infrastructure and community facilities;
- $98 million for other initiatives such as forest fire fleet renewal, parks, Regina Provincial Correction Centre and replacing emergency communications systems.
Our government’s plan is financially sustainable and is a budget that is balanced. We have developed this plan to lead us into the future.
Are we ready for growth? I believe the answer is “yes”. We are making the right choices. We are making the right investments for the future. And we are indeed Ready for Growth.
Past MLA Reports